Ivermectin, mainly a veterinary deworming agent, can be used in small doses to treat some human conditions.
But the drug has become controversial after being promoted as a way of treating or preventing Covid, despite being so far unproven.
Its use has become so common in the US that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) released a statement last month urging people not to take it.
“You are not a horse. You are not a cow,” the FDA said, warning that taking large doses of the substance “is dangerous and can cause serious harm”.
Ivermectin need to be prescribed and cannot be brought off the shelf. However, it is strange how people are able to get their hand on Ivermectin?
At least two known cases of ivermectin poisoning have been recorded in Malaysia – a 35-year-old who took one tablet and experienced shortness of breath for five days, and a senior citizen who was found unconscious after taking 15 tablets at one go, said the Health Ministry on its Facebook page on Aug 14.
The manufacturer, Merck, has said that there is no scientific study as yet that proves Ivermectin works against Covid-19.